WHO WE ARE
The primary focus of Kainai Community Corrections is to provide culturally sensitive and community-based corrections programs and services for any person in our jurisdiction that is affected by the criminal justice system. Emphasis is placed on community and interagency involvement.
The Community Corrections Program was established November 1989 and considered to be the first on of its kind within Indian Territory in Canada. Kainai Community Corrections is an entity of the Blood Tribe and is operated under a Board Of Directors on a contract with the Alberta Justice Department.
- Compiling court ordered reports which assist in sentencing and reviewing the process.
- Supervising adult and youth offenders placed on community supervision by the courts, which involves enforcing the conditions of the supervision orders, providing guidance and referrals to appropriate community resources.
- Providing Fine Option to offenders to complete meaningful work in the community in lieu of cash payment for a court imposed fine.
INDIGENOUS COURT WORKER PROGRAM (Adult/Youth)
The Indigenous Court Worker Program is designed to aid Indigenous people appearing before the court. Under this program we will:
- Ensure clients understand their rights, responsibilities, and obligations within the Judicial system
- Advocate for clients in court regarding adjournment, plea bargaining, & sentencing
- Referrals to Diversion programs
- Negotiate with the Crown to facilitate resolution of judicial matters
- Assist clients in a culturally appropriate, non-stigmatized, & confidential manner
The Reintegration program works with Corrections Services Canada to promote awareness of Section 84 release for First Nations members wanting to return to their home communities on parole. Working closely with CSC staff and the Blood Tribe community to develop a reintegration plan though treatment, counseling and traditional Blackfoot Culture.
The Provincial Reintegration works with Kainai Community Corrections and Transition Support Staff for the development and administration of the reintegration of clients from Correctional Centers. Working in collaboration with Correctional Center personnel, Kainai Community Corrections personnel, Blood Tribe Police, social services, Blood Tribe Health Department and other professional and support agencies, to help clients successfully reintegrate back into the communities.
WE ARE HERE TO HELP
Please fill out the form below to request assistance from our team or for more information about our programs.
Need assistance from the Community Corrections Program? Complete the form to request information.